The Teacher of Creativity

A spotlight on Andi Dubitsky

Taylor Schildknecht, Introduction to Journalism

Teaching three subjects might make a few squirm or feel overwhelmed, but others embrace the challenge.

Communication Arts teacher Andrea Dubitsky is well-respected, students said, and her subjects allow her to show her creative side. She tackles creative writing, English II and theater arts on a daily basis. Students said she is known to teach her classes in a special way. She doesn’t use conventional methods. Moving around, performing, and allowing students to do things their own way are just a few examples of her teaching style.

“It’s very relaxed and laid back and she really lets the kids have their own creative flow so I like that kind of style because it really gives the kids the chance to do their own work, rather than work how the teacher tells them to,” senior Chad Brown said.

Classes taught by Dubitsky have gotten positive feedback from her current and former students; reports of her positive energy spreading around the classroom have been made.  Junior Aeon Needham was one of the many who saw the positivity seeping from Dubitsky.

“She was really descriptive about what she was talking about and I think her personality really helped out. She’s pretty outgoing,” Needham said.

Dubitsky described her teaching style as more of a workshop than a traditional class. While she said she began her teaching career using standard methods, she switched when she found another way.

“I think I started more as the kind of teacher that has the philosophy of it’s my job to teach, and it’s the students job to learn, which has its benefits and for some students, that works great and you can’t change it whatsoever, but I just found that when I walk in the desks, when I have individual conversations with student, when we work together one-on-one towards a common goal, my life is more fulfilling,” Dubitsky said.

Dubitsky’s tactics to help kids seems to have made an impact. Her different approach to learning is reported by students to have made classes easier.

“I think she tried to get the kids to understand more and, I think, doing more class involvement. I find this… helped understanding,” senior Lilian “Lilly” Henerforth said.

Dubitsky also has a serious side. She said she shows her kindness to students by telling the truth, even if it may upset them.

“She said what was on her mind, how she was feeling and exactly what you could do to get your grade up and I enjoyed that,” junior Craig Brown said.