Year-round School?

Ryan Fredrick, Reporter

Getting more breaks and retaining information given to you by the school sounds good, right? The traditional school year, with three months of vacation, was first implemented when America was an agricultural society.

Learning to read, write, and perform basic arithmetic in classrooms was simply not as important as keeping up family farms and building the nation. The summer months were needed almost exclusively for farm work.

Now that we are modernized, we should go to a full year system, because the need for students to work on farms is decreased. Students are not slaving away on farms anymore, at least, most of the time.

Year-round schooling means that students do not fall victim to the “summer slide,” the phenomenon where students unlearn the knowledge they worked so hard to attain during the previous months when too much consecutive time is taken off from school, according to The Advocate.com

Minority students, who speak English as a second language, economically disadvantaged students and students with disabilities are the most affected by the summer fallback.

Studies have found that disadvantaged students lose about 27 percent more of their learning gains in the summer months than their peers, according to the article from The Advocate.

Breaks would also occur more frequently, which everybody would like. Although cumulatively there would fewer days off, the frequency of school breaks would be much higher. While year round schooling systems vary, typically schools usually take a two-week break quarter semester, according to ScreenFlex.com.

School districts around the school should change to a year round school system because there is no point in learning everything we learn at school, and then forgetting it over the summer.

According to the National Association for Year-Round Education, the trend for year-round schools is growing. Studies continue to be conducted as to the universally best approach to education, and families and school administrators must evaluate all benefits and cautions of year-round school in order to implement the best possible approach for their students, according to LearningLiftOff.com.

Schools need to change to a year-round system so that people cumulatively learn instead of having to relearn everything again the next year.