Pizza Preferences

Tynlee Jones, Intro to Journalism

The taste of gooey, melted cheese that runs all over warm, doughy, perfectly seasoned crust with just the right amount of sauce. There is only one thing that this could describe, pizza.

Some of the students at Timberland High School shared their views on the best place to get pizza and why. Some of the favorite stores were local, or in the St. Louis area; others were not as confined.

“I like to get Imo’s because my family lived in St. Louis for a while so we like to get Imo’s…,” senior Emily Morgan said.

According to Imo’s.com, the first Imo’s Pizza was opened by Ed and Margie Imo in 1964 at Thurman and Shaw Avenues in St. Louis. It was only open during the evening, and it had pick-up and delivery.

“Imo’s also has really fast service, which is great because I get really hungry, really fast,” freshman Luke Holmstedt said.

At the time, many pizza parlors used mozzarella cheese on their pizzas. However, the Imo’s preferred to use provel cheese on their thin crust pizzas. The parlor got more popular because of this and the fact it had delivery, a service not common at that time.

“I go to Little Caesars, because it is the extra most bestest pizza, and that is because it has the most cheese and pepperoni,” Holmstedt said.

The global chain of Little Caesars Pizza started in 1959 as a single store in Garden City, Michigan. It served pizza, fish, and shrimp, according to Little Caesars.com.

The first franchise was opened in Warren, Michigan in 1962. Little Caesars then became the fastest growing pizza chain in the United States and was internationally known. In 1969, it went international with the first opening of a store which was located in Canada.

“My favorite pizza is in Chicago, where I’m originally from. It’s called Giordano’s. It’s deep dish,” freshman Angelina Cohens said.