Was Venom Complete Carnage?

Tom Hardy plays the infamous Marvel character Venom.

Wikimedia Commons

Tom Hardy plays the infamous Marvel character “Venom”.

Ryan Fredrick, Reporter

The Venom movie, based on the popular Spider-Man spinoff character, has finally hit theaters, and while some are concerned that it is taking popularity from other Marvel movies, the audience score on Rotten Tomatoes is 88 percent.

“It was a really good movie. The characters are going to keep you sucked in. The characters are so fleshed out and hilarious. Tom Hardy is an excellent actor and the way he portrays Venom is flawless, sophomore Nick Stephens said.

Directed by Ruben Fleischer, the film hit theaters October 5 features “Mad Max: Fury Road” and “The Dark Knight Rises” star Tom Hardy as Eddie Brock, a journalist who becomes the host of a powerful, symbiotic alien that gives him superhuman abilities.

“I think the movie is going to be really good and be a frontrunner for a new wave of villain movies. However, Venom is an anti-villain who does not follow the rules but also does not unjustly kill. It will be interesting to see where they will take it,” junior Mickayla Thomas said.

Throughout much of development and production on Venom, Sony Pictures followed the example set by Deadpool and make the violent character’s solo debut an R-rated feature. That conclusion proved wrong, though, when the film’s official rating was confirmed to be the more kid-friendly PG-13.

“It’s so cool that they made it kid-accessible. It is hard to do that with a character like Venom, because he eats people. Trying to censor a movie that should be gory makes a movie less spectacular, but I do not think that is going to happen with Venom,” sophomore Dominik Fritz said.

Venom hit theaters October 5 in the United States. It obtained a 31 percent from critics on Rotten Tomatoes, but an 88 percent for audience.