Police Mourn the Loss of Doughnuts in a Tragic Fire

Nolen Cooper, Reporter

A Krispy Kreme Doughnut truck caught fire on New Years Eve in Lexington, Kentucky, and the police officers were distraught at this event. All the doughnuts inside the truck were destroyed, and the Lexington Police Department tweeted three different photos of officers crying, mourning the loss of so many doughnuts.

“I would have reacted the same way; it’s very tragic, but on the bright side they got doughnuts afterwards,” sophomore Connor Jeffreys said.

The picture of the officers crying in front of the burned up truck, at the time of writing the image had more than 35,000 retweets and 123,000 likes. Many people decided to offer support during this “difficult time”, even the New York Police Department who responded with “Hang tight, we are sending backup forthwith, and these guys came prepared. We hope you like sprinkles.”

Krispy Kreme also had some fun with the situation, they gave condolences, then tweeted “We’re thinking of you during this difficult time…and have more doughnuts on the way!”

“Krispy Kreme has always been a great community partner in the city,” Sergeant Donnell Gordon of the Lexington Police Department told TIME in an email.

This is not the first time a scene like this has happened. In fact, tragedy struck in early May this year in Poland when a larger tanker truck crashed, spilling gallons of liquid chocolate across a major motorway. Local authorities were unable to save the chocolate and simply washed it away with warm water. In August 2017, a truck carrying hundreds of pizzas in Arkansas crashed, resulting in a similarly awful scene.

“I want to witness a truck filled with doughnuts catch fire so I can get free doughnuts someday. That would be awesome,” sophomore Chelsea Hahn said.