West Virginia Delegate Compares LGBTQ Community to the KKK

Delegate+from+West+Virginia+Eric+Porterfield+receives+criticism+after+comparing+the+LGBT+community+to+the+KKK.+

WSET

Delegate from West Virginia Eric Porterfield receives criticism after comparing the LGBT community to the KKK.

Ryan Fredrick, Reporter

A delegate of the West Virginia House of Delegates, Eric Porterfield is facing criticism from both parties about his anti-LGBTQ comments and beliefs. Porterfield called his critics “brutal monsters” and called the LGBT community a “terrorist group.” He also compared them to the KKK.

“They are the most evil-spreading and hate filled group in this country. They are the closest thing to political terrorism in America… The LGBTQ is a modern-day version of the Ku Klux Klan, without wearing hoods, with their antics of hate,” Porterfield said.

Several of West Virginia’s Republican leaders have criticized his statements, and on Monday, the West Virginia GOP officially denounced Porterfield’s words.

“People say that homophobia and intolerance are gone, and that is just not true. People like this are what Democrats believe all Republicans are like. This just puts a misrepresentation of what they are,” junior Jay Clements said.

During his campaign, Porterfield vociferously criticized the Youth Mental Health Protection Act, a bill that failed to pass the state legislature in 2018 despite bipartisan support. Porterfield said the bill, which would have banned conversion therapy for LGBT minors, was a violation of free speech and called its supporters “bigoted and discriminatory.”

“People like this are still in the world. They didn’t just leave, there are still bigots and homophobes in the world. We need acceptance for people to feel comfortable expressing themselves,” senior Hayden Thomas said.

During an interview with a local news station, the reporter asked Porterfield what he would do if one of his children came out to him. His response was that with his daughter he would take her to get her nails and hair done, and then take her swimming. Then he said he would take his son out hunting and fishing and then take him swimming. When asked why he would take them swimming he said, “I just want to make sure they could swim.”

“The implications of him saying he would take them swimming could lead people to believe he would drown them. He definitely should have clarifies instead of just repeating because now he sounds really scary,” sophomore Seth Chaplin said.

Several republicans also publicly condemned Mr Porterfield and his comments, including Mercer County Commissioner Greg Puckett.