Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Introduces Sweeping Climate Regulation Reform

Patrick Kissel, Reporter

New York representative Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez has introduced legislation that would censure America’s policies surrounding climate change. Ocasio-Cortez, who has touted the idea of the green new deal throughout her campaign, is co-sponsoring this legislation with Massachusetts senator Ed Markey.

The legislation has been received tepidly by some of their fellow democrats, with both speaker of the house Nancy Pelosi, and senate minority leader Chuck Schumer not directly supporting the legislation. Five democratic presidential candidates have signed on as co-sponsors of the legislation, those being New York senator Kirsten Gillibrand, California senator Kamala Harris, Massachusetts senator Elizabeth Warren, New Jersey senator Cory Booker and Montana senator Amy Klobuchar.

“No, we should not be tougher on climate change. It gets hotter every year, and it gets colder every year,” junior Tim Miles said.

Senate majority leader Mitch McConnell has agreed to bring the legislation to the floor for a vote. The legislation is a nonbinding resolution that is meant to point out flaws in the current method of dealing with climate change, and lay an outline for goals that the government needs to reach in order to mitigate the majority of the effects of climate change.

“A lot of people seem to speak up about [climate change,] but nothing is really happening,” freshman Dalia Newbury said.

The resolution takes into effect the overarching issues that climate change will affect, and not simply focusing on carbon emissions. Many of the policies outlined in the resolution are there to aid those affected by climate change, including a call for universal health care and a rapid transition away from fossil fuels.

“I’ve rarely heard Trump talk about climate  change,” freshman Evan Brown said.

While the legislation has been received well by some democrats, many feel it has gone too far. Much like Pelosi and Schumer who have not thrown their weight on this legislation, Ohio senator Sherrod Brown refused to take a direct position, and only gave a broad statement in support of “a green new deal.” The resolution has also not been received well by many senate republicans, who have stated they will not vote for it.