Machado’s Impact on Padres

Hayden See, Reporter

Last month, the San Diego Padres inked infielder Manny Machado to a ten-year deal.

The Padres handed their biggest contract in franchise history to the 26-year old infielder. Although he played shortstop last season between the Orioles and Dodgers, he will play third base full time for San Diego. It cleared up a spot for top prospect Fernando Tatis Jr. to play shortstop once he gets called up.

“Machado is the perfect piece to help lead this young Padres team that could contend in a few seasons,” sophomore Hannah Stumpf said.

Tatis Jr. is not the only top prospect the Padres have. Fernando Tatis ranks as their top ranked prospect, number two overall in the MLB. For the rotation, the Padres have Mackenzie Gore, a 20-year old left-handed pitcher. Francsico Mejia is a new addition to the club. He was acquired from the Indians in exchange for Brad Hand last season. A catcher, he ranks third within the organization, 26th in the league and the number two catcher prospect.

“Their group of young talented prospects could help them to be a top team in the league in a couple seasons. They just have to hope all their top prospects pan out,” junior Harrison Riebow said.

All of those top prospects will add skill to a team that is headlined by Eric Hosmer, and now, Manny Machado. Hosmer was signed last offseason to an eight-year contract. He recorded a 1.4 wins-above-replacement in his inaugural season last year. Manuel Margot, an outfielder, is a former top prospect and is currently a full time major league outfielder for the San Diego Padres.

“The Hosmer signing could come back to bite them. He has been a disappointment for them so far,” junior Emma Hayden said.
Machado will be with the Padres through the 2029 season.