Timberland Theater Presents: “Little Shop of Horrors”

Kya Gooch

Cast Members creating a sign for “Little Shop of Horrors”

Kya Gooch, Reporter

“Little Shop of Horrors,” is a musical written to keep audience members laughing and on the edge of their seats. The show debuted in the 1980’s and has horror, comedy, music, and sci-fi elements all in one. 

In mid-August, auditions took place and rehearsals began.

“[To choose actors, I look for] someone who becomes the character, where I no longer see them as themselves,” theater director, Melissa Queen said.

The chosen actors are perfecting the show during plenty of rehearsals. The cast rehearses five days a week for 13 weeks before the show to ensure actors have ample time to memorize scripts, music and choreography. Crew members create and design costumes, props and sets during this rehearsal time.

“Little Shop of Horrors” focuses on Seymour Krelborn, an average, nerdy, flower shop employee, played by Senior Kyle Rehme. Krelborn buys Audrey II, a power-hungry talking plant, to decorate the drab shop on Skid Row and eventually finds out that the plant has a bloodthirsty secret.

“The show will keep you entertained throughout all the twists and turns,” senior Riley Clark said.

Actors and crew members said they are thrilled about the show and hope to win awards, as they have done with past musicals.

“We have a great cast and crew. I’m excited to show everyone what we’ve been working on,” senior Carly Bohning said. 

“Come see the talents of Timberland. [We were] last year’s winner at the St. Louis High School Musical Theatre Awards for Outstanding Costume Design, Outstanding Supporting Actor (Kyle Rehme, who is the lead this year) and Outstanding Musical Budget Level 1,” Queen said. 

The show runs November 7 to 9 at 7 p.m. with a matinee performance November 9 at 2 p.m. in the Carl Reininger theatre.