4th WSD High School

Kya Gooch, Reporter

The Wentzville School District is one of the fastest growing districts in Missouri.

According to a demographic study, the Wentzville school district has grown 17.1% from 2010 to 2017. The most growth in the district is between grade 9 and grade 12, which grew by 49.39% in recent years, meaning a new high school is necessary for the district. Enrollment is expected to increase by 27% in the next 10 years. 

The new school is made possible by bond proceeds from Proposition E, passed in 2018. Proposition E was a $125 million no-tax-increase bond issue that generated funds for a new high school and elementary school, as well as a new gym at Holt and additions at Peine Ridge Elementary, Pearce Hall and Barfield Early Childhood Center, according to WSD chief communications officer Mary LaPak. 

The building of a new high school will change district boundaries, allowing crowded areas can be more evenly dispersed. This means some students who already attend a WSD high school will have to switch into the new school opening in 2021-2022.

“Since the new boundaries have not been approved yet, it is hard to determine which Timberland students may be rezoned to a different high school. Additionally, how many classes will start at the new high school has not yet been determined,” boundary committee member Jen Wibbenmeyer said.

Although this could cause students to switch schools, it has been publicly announced by Dr. Curtis Cain, superintendent, that seniors will not be moved. 

Why is this so important? The WSD is growing rapidly, and families continue to move to this area.

“Wentzville school district provides some of the best education in the state. Wentzville is a great and affordable place to raise a family,” LaPak said.

The new high school is being built off of West Meyer Road and North Point Prairie in Wentzville, and is scheduled to open for the 2021-22 school year.