Is Dance a Sport?

Kayla Davito, Reporter

Practiced and performed both in and out of THS, dance is an often questioned activity many people ask, is it a sport?

For some, when the word ‘dance’ is heard, images on tutus and ballerinas immediately come to mind. However, there are many more styles than ballet that make up the dance world. Hip hop, contemporary, lyrical, jazz and ballroom are just a few. THS students have given their opinions on if they think dance is a sport.

“It is not a sport. I think it is very artistic, but since it is not in the Olympics, it can not be considered a sport,” sophomore Joshua Brown said. 

While it is true that dance is not in the Olympics, many dancers still participate in competitions around the world. However, there is more than just the assumption of the Olympics that calls dance into question. Another common argument as to why dance should not be considered a sport is because dancers are watched by judges rather than referees and follow no universal scoring procedure, unlike similar activities like diving or gymnastics. 

Dance is a sport because it takes flexibility, strength, stamina and motivation. We practice nearly every day and perform at games and competitions,” senior Anna Leonard said.

Dance does require movement and exercise, and in that way can be compared to other sports. Dr. James A. Nicholas in Journal of Sports Medicine deemed ballet the most physically and mentally demanding out of 61 physical activities, according to an article by Inkling News .

“I have tried dance, and of course that affects my opinion,  because I know first-hand the challenges dancers face and what it takes to be a dancer. However, even if I had never danced in my life, I would still think that it is a sport,” sophomore Avery Lamb said.

Overall, the evidence points to dance falling into either category, depending on the reasoning. For example, dance does require exercise and can be compared to other sports because of its physical nature, while others are content with it being called a performing art, because of the way that it is performed (telling a story) in an emotional and artistic way.

“Many people say that they don’t consider dance to be a sport because it is an art. However, there is no rule or guideline saying that it cannot be both,” Lamb said.