School Play – “Romeo, You Idiot”

Theater+arts+teacher+Andi+Dubitsky+is+the+director+of+the+school+play+Romeo%2C+You+Idiot.+

Ryan Fredrick

Theater arts teacher Andi Dubitsky is the director of the school play “Romeo, You Idiot.”

Ryan Fredrick, Reporter

“Romeo, You Idiot” has been described as a relentlessly irreverent spoof of Shakespeare’s original, “The Tragedy of Romeo and Juliet.” It includes depictions of the mafia, cars, and other inconsistencies that would have not been around in the time period “Romeo and Juliet” was set in. 

“It is the ‘Space Balls’ of theater. It makes fun of the original piece in good fun, with respect to the original piece, as well,” senior Jay Miles said. 

As one of the two “one-act” plays the school is putting on in the Spring Season, “Romeo, You Idiot” is directed by theater arts teacher Andi Dubitsky. 

“I have had a lot of fun with this one-act because I have been teaching it in my classes for a long time now. It is so much fun to work with the theater kids because they have such big personalities that shine on the stage,” Dubitsky said. 

“Romeo, You Idiot” is about the classic tale of Romeo and Juliet, but it takes a comedic look at the absurdity of the character Romeo.
“The script makes it very apparent that the writer wanted to make fun of Romeo’s flaws. Most of the jokes are at the expense of Romeo,” junior Seth Chaplin said. 

“Romeo, You Idiot” will be showing at the Carl E. Reininger at 7 p.m on March 5 and 6. Tickets are $6 for students, $7 for adults.