Running the DECA Den

Will Tischler, Reporter

The DECA Den is a store run by DECA students that gives other students the opportunity to buy snacks and drinks, and gives DECA participants real-world sales experience.

Because of Coronavirus, the DECA Den has faced some changes and challenges this year, including changes in available product, and awareness amongst students of its existance, according to seniors Gabe Hackman and Cade Lewis.

“It’s very hard to communicate with businesses now [because of] coronavirus or they are just out of business in general because of the coronavirus. We do have smoothie king now, gladly because we actually contacted the owner and she said yes to it, so smoothie king Fridays, and Tuesdays and it’s $2.50”, says Senior, Gabe Hackman.

The DECA store currently offers Smoothie King, muffins, chips and beef jerky. They are not currently able to sell in-house-made slushies due to COVID Requirements.

“Currently, we are not allowed to sell popcorn, because we have to put our hands into the machine to get the popcorn, and we have to wear masks 24 seven,” Lewis said.

Despite this year’s challenges, participants said DECA is fun, educational and a good club to get involved in.

“Definitely get involved in Mr. Oliva’s Marketing classes; he’s a good guy. He teaches really important stuff, and once you get involved with him, you get involved with DECA and you go to competitions. Eventually, you get involved with the DECA Den, it just takes time, junior Nolan Tucker said.

DECA is taught by business teacher Michael Oliva and designed to prepare emerging leaders and entrepreneurs in marketing, finance, hospitality and management. For more information on joining DECA, contact Oliva at [email protected].