#INSTAntly Famous

Instagram Famous Collage -

Credits to www.eikonline.com

Instagram Famous Collage -

Bella Rainey, Reporte & Web Designer

The flux of internet fame has been on the uprise for quite some time. Whether it be promoting a brand in a swimsuit on Instagram, posting gaming videos on YouTube, or even a 7-second Vine that probably makes no sense, becoming internationally known online is not a far-fetched aspiration.

I think that if becoming [internet] famous is one of your dreams, then go for it! I would support is as long as social media does not control every aspect of your life,” senior Riley Kowal said.

Creating content varies depending on the platform of social media. Instagram content and YouTube content have completely different aspects, qualifications and standards. Being a creator on Youtube requires a lot more effort in terms of creativity and innovativeness, according to The Webtrovert.

I think that YouTube is more successful because that requires creativity, planning and work,” senior Chrissy Crowell said.

While digital creators are respected in their field, the new career path is not necessarily widely accepted among society. Many think that it is “lazy” to make a living off of social media, according to The Huffington Post.

“I think that social media is an excellent platform to make a tangible difference in the world, but if used solely for selfish purposes then the people who are becoming famous on social media are doing a public disservice,” Crowell said.

To make a living off of a platform like Instagram, people will pair up with brands to promote brand’s products. In return for the promotional opportunity, brands will send those people free products, money or even organize trips and vacations for them. Many struggle to accept this version of “influencers,” as it may seem that the person is doing minimal work for quite the reward, according to The Huffington Post.

“I would think that ‘influencer’ is a good name for social media stars. Since this media is a platform that millions of people use, it is easy to access other people’s content. This content could be influential in many different ways, in more light-hearted or deep-level aspects. I do not believe that people who are solely sponsored by brands are only advertising for money are not much of influencers at all,” Kowal said.

Within the last two years, bloggers and YouTubers have had great success salary speaking, according to PopSugar.com.

“I think it is a good way to make money but they should not make it their living,” senior Terra Parker said.

Overall, multimedia careers are on the rise. To find out more about social media careers, visit www.indeed.com.

About the Writer
Bella Rainey, Web Designer/Developer & Reporter

Hi there, my name is Bella Rainey, and I am a senior here at Timberland!

My role on the Online News staff is to care for the website you are currently visiting. From the layout, design, and content, I keep the page up to date and looking its best for your viewing pleasure! I also am the video editor, and a reporter for the Broadcast Media staff. 

Aside from Online News, I am also the Social Media Manager for Motivation Club, an International Thespian member, FCCLA member, and DECA member. I love being involved at Timberland and doing activities that will help serve my community. Outside of school, I write for my own lifestyle blog (www.positivelybella.com shameless self plug), drink excessive amounts of coffee, sing in my cover band One Fell Swoop, kick butt in fantasy football (go Packers!), and hug any puppy in my line of sight. I plan on moving to Colorado after graduation to attend community college for Web Design and Development. My dream job is to be a creative director or visual designer.

Enough about me, go check out more of our website! Go Wolves!