The Loss of a Baseball Icon

Josh Calloni, Reporter

Eight time all star and two time Cy Young pitcher Roy Halladay, was involved in a plane crash in early November and passed away from his injuries.

Halladay, who was among the game’s best pitchers for many years, pitched with the Toronto Blue Jays from 1998 to 2019, and with the Philadelphia Phillies from 2010 to 2013. One of his greatest accomplishments came later in his career with the Phillies, when he threw a no hitter in the playoffs, something which has only been done a handful of times before. Halladay was a career 203-105 and had a very good ERA of 3.38. His best year, however, might of come in 2003, when he was 22-7, with a 3.25 ERA, winning Cy Young, and being named to his second career all star game.

Halladay was also a very influential to many of young pitchers around the game today, inspiring them, and even coaching them to where they are today. Such players include Kevin Gausman, who will wear #34 this season in honor of Halladay, and many of the young Phillies pitchers.

“The loss of Roy Halladay is definitely a sad one. Yes, he might of been doing some dangerous things in a plane, but no matter what it was sad. He will definitely be missed, and it will be interesting to see how teams honor him come the 2018 season,” Sophomore Isaac Gilkison said.

Early in the afternoon on November 7, a plane crashed in the Gulf of Mexico outside of Holiday, Florida. The plane was registered to Halladay, and it was later found that he was indeed the one flying it. Halladay had only earned his pilot license on October 14th, but had always desired flying, even after a teammate of his had a plane crash earlier on. A few days after his death, however, video came out of him doing some stunts close to the water at the time of his crash.

“He was an exceptional player, and will be missed,” sophomore Ashton Ranney said.

Come Opening Day 2018, the Phillies and Blue Jays are set to honor Halladay with videos of his highlights with each team. This has been the case for many players who have been lost around baseball, like Yordano Ventura, Oscar Taveras, and Jose Fernandez.

Halladay is survived by his wife, Brandy, and two kids, Braden and Ryan, as well as a legacy around the sport of baseball.