Should Hats be Allowed in Schools?

Madison Kosydor, Reporter

Hats are a debatable topic in many schools; some allow headwear during school hours while others do not. Some schools and officials think  hats are disrespectful, a distraction and sometimes a danger.

The formal thing to do when entering a church, house, school, or public place, is to take hats off. It is a sign of respect and courtesy, so they should not be allowed in schools, according to the Washington Post.

According to the Wentzville School District, hats are not allowed because they can be dangerous. Hats can cover the appearance of students faces and can make them unrecognizable.

However, hats in school should not be seen as a distraction and do not change the focus of students. Hats are a way of self expression  and should not be considered much more.

Based on a poll, 79.5% of Timberland students say that hats should be allowed while 20.5% say they should not.

Hats are fashion statements and can be used to make an outfit. It allows students to feel comfortable in school and not always judged. Students can use them to cover up a bad hair day or simply keep their heads warm in the winter.

There is also the fight about different religions and their head pieces. Whilst hijabs and other religious headpieces are allowed in Timberland, other headwear is not allowed. Some schools ban headwear altogether, not allowing Muslim or Arabic religions not wear their hijabs in school premises.

Inappropriate slang and logos on hats should obviously be banned, but a simple beanie, snapback, visor or baseball cap should be allowed. As well as the right for religions to practice their beliefs anywhere they please, without the worry of it bothering others.