What’s Obama Up To?

Wikimedia

Official portrait of President-elect Barack Obama on Jan. 13, 2009. (Photo by Pete Souza)

Ryan Fredrick, Reporter

Since leaving the White House on January 20, 2017 and handing over the presidency to President Donald Trump, former President Barack Obama has had a profitable time off.

He and his wife, Michelle Obama, have currently made $60 million off of their memoirs, according to an article from NewsWeek.com.

“It is funny to think that he still exists, that he is still a person. I always just saw him as a president and not a person. People can do that with a lot of public figures. We can feel like we are really involved with what they are doing, but we really aren’t,” sophomore Julia Clements said.

Obama has traveled the world since departing the White House, vacationing in no fewer than three continents and hitting at least nine different countries. He went to London to meet up with his good friend Prince Harry, according to the  News Week article.

“If I was a former president, I would also travel around the world. Good for him. Now, he can relax now that he’s done with the presidency,” freshmen Bella Daws said.

The first major announcement Obama made after leaving office came in early May, when he unveiled preliminary plans for the Obama Presidential Center in Chicago, which will consist of three buildings in Jackson Park. The plans called for a museum, a forum building with a restaurant, auditorium, public garden and a library.

“It’s nice that he is still trying to promote his political views with speeches. It’s nice that he’s not in the spotlight like other political figures that just try and shove themselves down your throat,” junior Kobe Wenger said.

Since his exit from the spotlight, Obama has been unable to fully detach himself from the political fray. He has been involved with the National Democratic Redistricting Committee, focusing on winning back state legislatures across the country in order to control redistricting processes that will take place across the country following the 2020 elections.