YouTube HQ Shooting

YouTube+headquarters

YouTube headquarters

Josh Calloni, Reporter

On April 3, a shooting attack on the YouTube headquarters occured at about noon pacific time.

The shooting had one fatality, the shooter, a 38 year old Muslim woman, Nasim Najafi Aghdam. Aghdam entered the San Bruno, California facility, walked towards an outdoor area of the facility and opened fire, injured three people before turning the gun on herself. The gun used for the attack was a Smith & Wesson 9 mm Reports say that Aghdam carried out the attack because she was complaining about YouTube “sifting traffic and suppressing videos”. However, to counter that, early reports say it was a domestic dispute with her boyfriend, who works at the headquarters according to CNN.com.

“I think that the YouTube shooting is an awful occurrence, but, its happened so much recently, that, really, can we be surprised? Guns need to be outlawed to stop this sort of thing from happening. No doubt in my mind about that,” freshman Ellie Hammonds said.

The motive of the shooter, other than the complaints with YouTube is mostly unknown. She was decently popular on many different social media sites, including YouTube, and quoted saying she hated YouTube. She purchased the gun from a San Diego store in January, and was reported missing on March 31. Her grandmother, whom she lived with, feared she was traveling to the company’s offices. Police officers found her sleeping in her car the morning before the shooting in a Wal-Mart parking lot. However, they did not view her as a threat and left her alone. It is said that Aghdam visited a shooting range the same day, before the attack according to CNN.com

“The shooting is very sad, and I hope that the headquarters of YouTube and other large companies like it can find a way to avoid future shootings,” sophomore Austin Fouse said.

It is also unclear on how Google, the owner of YouTube will go about avoiding an incident like this again however. Donald Trump tweeted out his thoughts and prayers to those involved, as did the CEOs of Amazon, Apple and Twitter, among a few other companies. On top of that, the Baha’i National Center, a cause that Aghdam supported, extended their thoughts and condolences to those affected by the violent event.