Lil Wayne Releases Tha Carter V

Josh Calloni, Reporter

Longtime rapper Lil Wayne has dropped his long awaited album, Tha Carter V, after multiple years of setbacks.

Tha Carter V, now out for two weeks, has received a 97 percent approval rating from those who listened on Spotify. The album features many different rappers, and 23 songs. Six of the 23 have peaked in the Top 100 on Billboard’s Top 100. These include “Don’t Cry”, which features late rapper XXXTentacion, “Mona Lisa”, which features Kendrick Lamar; “Let it Fly” which features Travis Scott, Three songs that do not feature other rappers; “Dedicate”; “Uproar”; and “Can’t be Broken”. The highest of these is “Mona Lisa”  at 23.

“The album was very good, I’ve waited a while for it, and I could not wait to listen to it,” junior Josh Elzy said.

The album, originally announced in 2012, suffered many difficulties to release. Originally, Lil Wayne worked on the album trying to make growth on it, making it as long as possible, as it is his last album. Originally, October 2013 was the original release date, but then that was pushed back to May 2014 due to the album simply not being finished. Again, May came around, the album was not released, for unannounced reasons. The album cover was released in August of 2014, yet the album was pushed back again because the album was too long. December was the release date after that, and again, pushed back, this time due to Lil Wayne’s displeasure with the record label. That displeasure turned into lawsuits that lasted four years. until now , which Lil Wayne eventually won, and that is when the album was, after five years, was released.

“The album was okay, I did not listen to rap when he was big, but I listened to it. Don’t Cry is my favorite song,” sophomore Jacob Brewer said.

The long wait made his album much anticipated, though Lil Wayne had released some music in between. It had been seven years between albums, and his fans were ready for new music. Most critics and fans have had very little to complain about according to many different reviews, however there has been one very large critique seen by some rap fans. “Don’t Cry” late feature rapper, XXXTentacion, who has a huge following. Lil Wayne said in an interview that he had never heard of XXXTentacion, commonly known as x,  prior to the song being released, which angered some of x’s fans.

The album is 90 minutes is length, and is available to listen to on all music media outlets including Apple Music, Spotify, and YouTube music.