Educational Disparity

Educational inequality is the unequal distribution of academic resources including school funding, qualified and experienced teachers, books and technologies to socially excluded communities. These communities tend to be historically disadvantaged.

“Education is a liberating force, and in our age it is also a democratizing force, cutting across the barriers of caste and class, smoothing out inequalities imposed by birth and other circumstances,” Indira Gandhi the former Prime Minister of India said as reported by India.com.

Areas all around the world have different educational standards. Places like the United States and the United Kingdom may have different and raised educational standards from China, India and Iran and likewise in other areas. This is mainly due to the fact that different area around the world advance with the technological standards at different rates. Not everywhere has the exact same technology or access at the exact same time.

“Sports are obviously funded more than academic clubs. Things like the football team for example if they need new uniforms they get them. If an art class needs new brushes they may not get them till the next year or even after that,” junior Sam Kuper said.

One of the main issues in educational disparity is Sports v. Academics. You’ve seen this in almost every movie or book that regards the stereotypical Nerds V. Jocks or outcasts. This is an issue because, in recent years, society prioritized sports and how in shape someone is rather than their GPA, test scores or the knowledge in their actual brain. Not what they are physically capable of.

“A student can take the same classes as another student and likewise, teachers all can teach the same thing within a curriculum but it can differentiate between schools, but in a small area the educational opportunity is the same, “ sophomore Matthew Mangin said.

The Wentzville school district has been about providing the correct education to students and specifying their schedules to meet their needs. Which is why our standardized test grades tend to be so much higher than other school districts.