The Genius of Tarantino

Quentin+Tarantino+is+the+director+of+the+8+feature+films+and+plans+on+making+ten+before+he+retires.+
Quentin Tarantino is the director of the 8 feature films and plans on making ten before he retires.

Wikimedia Commons

Wikimedia Commons

Ryan Fredrick, Reporter

Since his feature debut “Reservoir Dogs” in 1992, Quentin Tarantino has established himself as one of the greatest filmmakers of all time. From “Pulp Fiction” to “Django Unchained,” his style is defined by a mix of shocking violence and humor.

Tarantino is currently at the beginning stages of a new project, said to be about the Manson Family murders.

One of the reasons Tarantino is considered by many one of the greatest directors of all time is his dialogue, the way he makes characters interact is so realistic and timeless. Sometimes, the characters conversations will have nothing to do with the plot, but can make the audience laugh or cry.

The most popular scene that uses this tactic is the “royale with cheese” scene in “Pulp Fiction”. In this scene, Vincent and Jules talk about what a Mcdonald’s Big Mac is called in France. This conversation has nothing to do with the theme or the plot, but makes the characters life-like.

Another reason Tarantino is so respected is because of his character development. All of the characters in his stories go through a transition throughout the film. It could be Jules, who decides he is going to abandon his life of crime in pursuit of enlightenment, or it could be Django, an ex-slave on the hunt to find his wife.

The way Tarantino effortlessly tells a story is why he is so successful. He plays with the timeline of his stories so much, which, at times, can be confusing, however by the end of the film everything makes sense. This makes for there always being a good twist or an “aha” moment at the end.

Tarantino is one of the best directors because of the way he uses dialogue, character development, manipulation of time and story-telling. He is the Elon Musk of filmmaking. He has this unexplainable charm that lets him effortlessly create masterpieces.  There are many directors who have tried to imitate Tarantino, but there is one thing they are lacking: being Quentin Tarantino.

About the Writer
Ryan Fredrick, Reporter

Hi, I’m Ryan Fredrick, and I am a goofy weirdo.

My passion is comedy and making people laugh. When I get out of school, I plan on being an entertainer....