Why exactly is Bob Ross famous?

Why exactly is Bob Ross famous?

Josh Calloni, Reporter

Everyone knows him, whether it be for his hair, his artwork or his friendly voice and attitude, but what exactly makes Bob Ross famous?

Ross, born in 1942 in Daytona Beach, Florida and was raised painting in his free time. Even while he was a sergeant in the Army, his passion was always painting. During his 20 years in the service, Ross, a drill sergeant, and had to yell to give orders. According to to a biography on Ross, this is something that changed him. After he got out, he vowed to never raise his voice or yell at anyone or anything again.

Ross went on to begin painting in a “wet on wet” style, which is painting on top of still-wet paint before it dries. While recording his show, The Joy of painting, Ross always painted what he was painting three different times, once for the show, one for reference, and once prior to taping of his show.

“Bob Ross is a legend. His catchphrases make me laugh. He is one of my favorite people,” sophomore James Sagen said.

Ross used a plethora of different catchphrases that made him stand out and to watchers and unique to painting. Quite possibly his most famous catchphrase was when referring to the trees he was painting, calling them “happy little trees.” Along with that, when drying his paintbrush, Ross like to say that he is “knocking the devil out of it.”

Ross, passed away in 1995 due to cancer, but for now his legacy lives on.

“Bob Ross is great. I like his paintings, and I like how he goes about himself,” senior Kaylob Stewart said.

So, what exactly makes Ross famous? From his, to his well known painting catchphrases, the middle ground of people that are motivated by his painting and teachings when he paints. He is friendly to all people from all walks of life.

It is a definite sign that Bob Ross, his paintings, and his legacy will be around for a very long time.