2019 MLB Hall of Fame Class Announced

Josh Calloni, Reporter

The Baseball Writers Association of America recently announced the annual MLB Hall of Fame class, this year inducting four players.

The first player that was inducted was longtime Yankees closer Mariano Rivera. Rivera was the first player in voting history, dating back to 1936, to receive 100 percent from 425 voters. Rivera retired in 2013 as a 43 year old, finishing his career with a league record 652 saves. His 19 year career, all with the Yankees, ended up with a 2.21 ERA, elected to 13 all star games and a five World Series wins. He was also was named MLB reliever of the year five different times.  

“I am surprised that Mariano Rivera got 100 percent of the vote, but it is deserving. I did not think anyone would ever achieve 100 percent of the ballot, but Ken Griffey definitely deserved 100% of Rivera did. I think the other three electees are very deserving as well, but I hope that Barry Bonds gets in eventually,” junior Adam Thomason

The second player elected was the late pitcher Roy Halladay. Halladay was a 16 year major league veteran before retiring in 2013 and won 202 games over his career. He had an ERA of 3.38, but his accolades go far beyond that. In 2010, against the Cincinnati Reds, Halladay threw one of two postseason no hitters in his first postseason start, after winning 21 games for the Phillies that year. Overall, Halladay spent 12 years on the Blue Jays and four years on the Phillies, won two Cy Young Awards, and was elected to eight different all star teams. Halladay died in a plane crash in late 2017.

The third player elected was pitcher Mike Mussina. Mussina pitched for 18 years, starting in 1991 to 2008, for the Baltimore Orioles, and the Yankees. He was elected to five all star games, all within his 10 year tenure with the Orioles. Starting with the Yankees in 2001, he continued to be an above average starter. Mussina won 270 games over his career, and finished out with a 3.68 ERA. He did not however, win a world series in his career, joining the Yankees right after their storied runs in the late 90’s, and retiring a season before they won in 2009.

“I do not think the balloting was very fair this year. Edgar Martinez was not deserving of the vote because he did not play defense, and in my opinion designated hitter is not a viable position. Additionally, a closer should not get more of a vote percentage than one of the best outfielders of all time in Ken Griffey, Jr,” sophomore Austin Gooch said.

The final player elected into the Hall of Fame was designated hitter Edgar Martinez. Martinez played 18 years in the majors, all of them with the Seattle Mariners. He was a seven time all-star, and a five time silver slugger and hit for the highest average in the majors two different times, in 1992 and 1995. He finished his career with 309 career home runs and a career batting average of .312. It was Martinez’ 10th year on the ballot, meaning he would fall off if not elected this year, mostly because of the fact that he was strictly a hitter. Martinez also had an eyesight problem, making his defensive skills very limited, which made voters think twice before putting him on their ballot.

The official election is slated to take place in late July, where these four will be joined by Harold Baines and Lee Smith, who were both elected by the Veterans Committee back in December, and be elected into the Hall of Fame officially.