Cardinals 2018 Outlook

Josh Calloni, Reporter

It is spring training time for the MLB, meaning the season is close to being underway. The Cardinals have a much different roster for 2018.

It was a busy offseason for the Cardinals, signing Luke Gregerson, Miles Mikolas, Jason Motte and Bud Norris. On top of that, they traded for 2017 All Star Marcell Ozuna. However, now that spring training has started, these players are getting their first looks as Cardinals and finding their potential 2018 roles.

Mikolas struggled in his first spring start, going one inning, allowing 6 runs. Bud Norris has also made his unofficial Cardinals debut, giving up a homerun to Luis Guillorme of the Mets. Ozuna is off to a cooler start, getting only one hit thus far, though in limited playing time. Gregerson has yet to pitch this spring.

“I am going to follow the Cardinals intently in 2018. There is a very good chance this team is going to go places. They have done a fantastic job acquiring players to play now, and then trading for excess to get younger guys for the future,” sophomore Jonas Boyle said.  

As for the rest of the team, the Cardinals have few holes to fill. The rotation seems to be set at Carlos Martinez, Adam Wainwright, Michael Wacha, Luke Weaver and Mikolas. Strong seasons from Martinez, Wacha and Weaver in 2017 show promise in 2018, but the Cardinals are hoping for a bounceback from Wainwright and that Mikolas’ Japanese stats carry over in the states.

As for the starting lineup, the team has little to no positional battles. Yadier Molina will start at catcher, Matt Carpenter at first, Kolten Wong at second, the shortstop will be Paul DeJong and the third basemen Jedd Gyorko. The outfield will consist of Ozuna Tommy Pham, and Dexter Fowler.

“It is a playoff team. I am most excited to see how Marcell Ozuna does as a Cardinal in 2018,”  Boyle said.

There could be some competition at third and first if a player on the outside looking in has a strong spring, such as Luke Voit or Yairo Munoz. The bench is set as Jose Martinez, Greg Garcia, Carson Kelly and Harrison Bader, though someone not listed could definitely change that. The bullpen is definitely the only questionable part of the team. There are only a few locks going in to the season, one of them being Gregerson.

Bud Norris Brett Cecil and Tyler Lyons also figure to be apart of the bullpen regardless. That leaves Dominic Leone, Matt Bowman, John Brebbia and Sam Tuivailala as favorites for the last 4 spots, though all of them besides Tuivailala have minor league options so, they could start there or go down if needed.

“I do like watching the Cardinals, and I am very excited to watch them this season,” said junior Mario Gonzalez

There is another element to each MLB team; the minors. There are many people that could come up and change the team. One being Jose Adolis Garcia, who has been very good thus far in spring training. Other players include Motte, Ryan Helsley, Jordan Hicks, Dakoda Hudson, Munoz, Randy Arozarena, and Daniel Poncedeleon.