Grease Prequel

Audrey Whalen, Reporter

Travel back to Rydell High, Danny and Sandy, T-Birds and Pink Ladies: “Grease” is coming to theaters again. Paramount studio’s division Paramount Players has put into development a “Grease” prequel, titled “Summer Loving”, and has tapped John August, the veteran writer behind such films as “Big Fish” and “Charlie and the Chocolate Factory”.

“I am glad this movie is taking us to before the whole “Rydell High School” days, but I really do not think this movie is necessary. Leave the classic alone,” freshman Annie Webb said.

Grease”, the classic 1978 musical, starred John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John as high school teens from opposite worlds, Travolta’s Danny Zuko a rough-and-tumble greaser, Newton-John’s Sandy Olsson a good-girl from Australia.  

This movie will probably be really bad. The 2nd Grease movie was horrible all on its own. Why did the  makers decide that there needed to be another one?” junior Julie Whitlock said.

“Grease” has proved to be an enduring title for Paramount over the decades, with the songs continuing to be part of pop culture and the film being reissued in anniversary editions every few years. In 2016, “Grease”
got the “live for TV” treatment on Fox in a version starring Julianne Hough and Vanessa Hudgens, which proved to be a hit, winning five Emmys in the process, according to people.com.

“I hope the original cast is included. To see John Travolta and Olivia Newton-John in a new movie,” Webb said.

There is currently no announced  date for this movie to come out. Fans of the original movie have said on Twitter that a prequel feels unnecessary. For more information on this topic follow the story at People.com.