Three Top MLB Prospects Make Debut

Josh Calloni, Reporter

Each year, some of baseballs most exciting up and coming players are given their first tastes of the big leagues, and today is no different, as three different highly touted players will be making their major league debut.

First off, the Blue Jays have recalled yet another second generation players from AAA, Cavan Biggio. Biggio, who is the son of hall of famer Craig Biggio will be thrusted into the Blue Jays lineup in Toronto tonight playing second base against the San Diego Padres. Biggio was drafted in the fifth round of the 2016 draft, and 24 year old has shot up the Blue Jays organization, batting .255 with 43 home runs since 2016. 26 of those 43 home runs were hit in 2018. Biggio was mostly known for his glove in the minor leagues, but the bat has since come around with the big season in 2018.

Biggio will not be the only player to make his debut in Toronto tonight either. The Padres recalled first base prospect Josh Naylor up from AAA for tonight’s game as well. Naylor has not had the same quick rise as Biggio had, being drafted in the first round of the 2015 draft. Naylor, who was born in Toronto, will join the Padres lineup as a DH for the upcoming interleague matchups. Naylor was originally drafted by the Miami Marlins but traded in 2017 for Andrew Cashner. Over his five seasons in the minors, Naylor has batted a combined .285 with 50 home runs, 10 of which have come in only 45 games this season in El Paso.

“Josh Naylor has tons of power, though I feel like this opportunity is only because the Padres need a DH. Fitting him in the lineup as a first basemen our outfielder any other time could be difficult,” sophomore Austin Gooch said.

Finally, the Arizona Diamondbacks are recalling first basemen Kevin Cron from AAA Reno to start tonight in San Francisco. Cron, who is the brother of Twins first baseman CJ Cron, was off to the hottest start out of any other minor leaguer in 2019. Cron was batted .339 with 21 home runs in only 44 games. The 26 year olds call up comes six years and 133 home runs after he was originally drafted, all the way back in 2014 in the 14th round of that draft.

“What Cron is doing in AAA is absolutely insane. I am excited to see what he can do in the big leagues, and see if it can translate to the majors,” junior Robby Manor said.

These three players come on the heels of many other top prospects getting the call around baseball, joining the likes of Keston Hiura, Austin Riley, Shed Long, Brendan Rodgers, Nicky Lopez and many other highly thought of players to make their debut in the last month.