MLB Mourns Losses

Josh Calloni, Reporter

As the MLB season has wrapped up, many fans feel the loss of watching baseball. However, this year, fans are feeling a little bit more loss than usual.

The league is mourning the loss of a few influential people, including Red Sox legend Bobby Doerr, and Red Sox minor leaguer Daniel Flores, who was only 17, as well as Phillies and Blue Jays legend Roy Halladay.

Flores, who was just signed out of the Dominican Republic in July, lost his very young life to cancer. Flores’ coach, who is also his trainer, said no one was aware that Flores had cancer, as he was such a strong, large person. Flores had a huge ceiling, and was said to be one of the next great catchers in the league. Flores never got to play a game in the minors.

Bobby Doerr, on the other hand, was 99 years old. He was the oldest living former Major League Baseball player. He debuted in 1937, and played until 1951, and eventually went on to coach and scout for various teams around the league. Boston went on to retire Doerr’s number, the number one. The Red Sox also declared August 2, 2007 as Bobby Doerr day around Fenway Park.

“The loss of Flores is pretty sad, he was only 17, only a high schoolers age,” sophomore Isaac Gilkison said.