Wild, Wild West: Western Wild Fires

Josh Calloni, Reporter

Dozens of wildfires have sprung up out west, causing millions of dollars in destruction damages, on top of destroying irreplaceable things.  

The fires have sprung up in many western states, the worst of it being in Montana, Oregon and Idaho. There are currently over 150 individual fires burning in those states, most of which have now combined into much larger, more dangerous fires. In all, there are 11 currently states dealing with wildfires. There is not much sign of slowing either, as all the states affected are looking at over 80 degree temperatures with very minimal rain for the next few days, according to local news stations.

“I have a few family members out west affected by the fire; it’s a scary situation,” senior Nick Dye said.

Many people have been displaced by the fires, as well as made sick by the heavy smoke in the air. The smoke is said to be able to be seen as far away as Michigan. The biggest fire currently burning in the Los Angeles, destroyed 4000 acres, and had already destroyed 32 homes. The fire was at 56 percent contaminated when these stats were recorded, so it has a chance to double in damage, according to arcgis.com’s wildfire maps, on September 12.

“Rescuers could use helicopters on the fires and send some in on foot when fires sprout to rescue anyone caught up in it” said sophomore Caleb Rodden said.

The hardest part for residents affected by these fires is that it’s not on a planned route. Unlike the residents affected by hurricanes recently in the south, many of the people affected by fires have no time to gather things before evacuating. The fire moves fast, and on its own path, meaning that if the fire is threatening, residents have very minimal time to gather things and loved ones up and get out to safety. This can be hard to deal with, as most people would not have time to grab things that could not be replaced, such as pictures or family memories.

Rain has moved through California, but not in the areas where these fires are. If the rain does not come, the fire could destroy much more.