TikTok vs. Vine

Ireland Murray, Reporter

TikTok is currently rated most downloaded app on the IOS app store for 2019, with more than 33 million downloads. 

The app TikTok was created in 2014 under the name Musical.ly before being re-branded in 2017. 

The app became popular for its ability to share and create short videos that you could lip-sync or act to. In the years following TikTok’s success many have compared it to the deceased app Vine. 

Vine was released in January 2013 but was subsequently shut down four years later. 

Both apps share many of the same qualities, including being able to use music and other creators audios.

Since Vine’s demise many popular Viners have made their way onto the newer app to continue making content. 

Here’s what Timberland’s students have to say about which app is better.

Sophomore Robin Chellevold said “ I prefer vine, I prefer the fact that vine has more original content whilst TikTok is mostly people stealing other people’s jokes and lip syncing over them.” 

Since Vine closed its doors in January of 2017, the apps content has only skyrocketed in popularity, a vine reference even being added in 2018’s Black Panther.

“I prefer TikTok because it has a lot of hot guys on it” said Junior Katelyn Gray.

TikTok has 500 million active users worldwide as of 2019, while vine had 200 million active monthly users as of November 2015.

Freshman Ian Vining said “Vine, because I think it was a lot funnier, a lot of people were creative.”A survey of 187 students and staff at Timberland showed that 48.1% prefer Vine, 35.8% prefer TikTok, and 16% said they preferred neither. TikTok is currently available for download on both IOS and Android devices for ages 12 and up.